Monday, September 24, 2007

Mid Autumn Festival

Mid Autumn Festival a.k.a Moon Cake Festival a.k.a Lantern Festival is one of the biggest celebrations for Chinese back in my home country, Malaysia. However, in Melbourne we only find people selling moon cake and that’s all.



Those days, when I was a kid, we wait for Mid Autumn Festival to play lantern and candles. We gathered around with family & friends, and we enjoyed the moon cake, the water caltrop, the mini yam, groundnuts etc especially the water caltrop and mini yam, which you only find them available during this time of the year from the market.

We even play “masak-masak” with leaves and whatever “unlucky” creatures we can find from the garden ground.


My first lantern was a dragon-shaped lantern made of coloured glass paper. I wish to could get one of those for Yong Shuan when he knows how to play.



This year we got the paper made Japanese lantern from sis. We decorated our deck and snapped a few photos. If you look carefully, I have used the paper clip to hang these lanterns. There was no wind the other night, but we still feel very cold out there. After sometimes setting the camera, our fingers all numb and we can't wait to get back into the house.




2 comments:

Audrey Tan said...

Yeah sis, i truly miss those days, i remember my lantern was a rabbit if i am not mistaken. Guess what? i asked dad last weekend whether he remembered my 'tang loong', he said dragon, then he said that was yours, he actually remembered yours. I too remember those days when we play 'masak masak' many leaves and branches sacrificed themselves man! Next time we buy YS some cute 'tang loong' and play with him. Hugz, happy mid autumn festival~~

Unknown said...

So glad to see the Japanese lanterns were hung... I thought brother might have grumbling me gila for sending them and the candles to you all...since i got no feedback from you .. haha